Rachel's Reviews > Till We Eat Again: A Second Helping

Till We Eat Again by Judy Gruen

F 50x66
May 31, 2012

I got the opportunity to read this book when I won it in a First-Reads contest, so I would just like to thank the Author and Goodreads! Now on to the review!

When I started reading this book my first thought was Bridget Jones. And indeed, there are obvious similarities. Both are women over who are unsatisfied with their body/weight, and write about it in a humorous manner. I think what makes this book so appealing is that Judy writes about things we're all thinking and wondering about, like how stupid a diet is but we may as well try it just in case it works. But Judy is just about dieting (which may have caused some annoyance) but also about getting active and going to the gym. Judy and Bridget are both examples of the "everywoman". We all know what it feels like to dread the scale, or want to lose weight for an important occasion, or have the "last XX" pounds not to come off, or to impress people, and ESPECIALLY the every-constant war between our want for a better body and our love of all food not exactly good for us. Whether Judy or Bridget actually make their weight goals isn't important, what's important is the lesson to try and better our diet and up our exercise BECAUSE we love our body, not SO we can love our body. And through all this, we also learn that with all the emphasis society (and us... and our family... and our friends) place on our body and how we look, maybe, just maybe, our personality and being loved because of it is more important than everything else.

So while this may not have been the most educational book and it's definitely not a self-help book or something designed to help you lose weight, it will leave you feeling better about yourself and your body. A book I would pick up when I need some humor, truth, and understanding from an author I never met to brighten my day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Till We Eat Again.