Calley's Reviews > Possessing the Secret of Joy

Possessing the Secret of Joy by Alice Walker

F_50x66
Oct 19, 08

Read in October, 2008

I just finished this book, and though I'm still numb from the truthfulness and reality of what this story addresses, I felt compelled to write something right away.

This story picks up on the lives of some of the characters from The Color Purple. Alice Walker says it is not meant to be a sequel, and therefore she felt that she could change the lives of Tashi, Adam, and Olivia slightly from what we were introduced to in The Color Purple and The Temple of My Familiar. Though, I didn't really notice any significant changes that contradicted what was said in either book.

It is written from the perspective of several different people and flashes back to the life Tashi led while still in Africa. It touches on her ordeals there including the practice of genital mutilation. The entire story is Tashi coming to her own realization that she is nearly mad due to the circumcision performed on her, and her sister (who died because of the procedure).

This ritual is something I have heard about, but did not know a great deal about. Though fictional, this story put me in the lives of people I felt familiar with and showed me first hand the suffering it causes.

I recommend you take the time to read it. I had it read in just under 2 days. I just couldn't seem to walk away from their lives for long. I felt compelled to return to them despite my busy day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possessing the Secret of Joy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Let me know what you think of this.

Calley I will I'm starting it today.