Jess's Reviews > Open

Open by Andre Agassi

May 31, 12

Read in May, 2012

I didn't think I'd like this. At all. I don't like sports figures' autobiographies because they tend to be so self-serving. And, to be honest, if you don't like Agassi or never did, you probably won't like this. But, truly, this a fantastic book. It puts the lie to the idea that athletes live charmed lives, that we should look up to them (but not for the reasons we think), that we know a person because he or she is reported on a great deal. This book is honest, self-deprecating, brutal, serious, funny and well-written. He credits the author who wrote "The Tender Bar" with writing it with him, and kudos to both of them - to Agassi for choosing someone who gave him a consistent, rhythmic voice and to that author for insisting on not wanting any credit.

Read this if you think your life would be better if you had fame, money, good looks, athletic gifts, or a model wife. Not to pity him, but to understand that no life, however ideal from its surface, is what we want it to be. But every life, if we examine ourselves, can shape us into something more wonderful than we think we are.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open.