Thad's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

May 31, 2012

Read from July 10 to 12, 2012

I tore through this book in an astoundingly short amount of time, and within the first five pages, I was hooked and had a tough time actually putting it down.

Mr. Cline sets up a very possible dismal future which includes the Oasis. The Oasis is an internet environment in which all things 80's has a place, and where many times, they clash and blend into the perfect chaos of genres. Imagine a world where a blaster from Star Wars is utilized right along side a Magic Missile D&D spell or a broad sword, and you can begin to understand.

The 80's flashbacks saturate the story, but in no way holds it up. The story is exciting on it's own, and Mr. Cline does a superb job of intermingling the two without relying on such obvious crutches.

The book also passes my 'Technically Correct' test. I'm not an expert on all things 80's, but most everything he wrote I had at least some knowledge of, and it appears that Mr. Cline at very least lived those times, played those games, and experienced everything he wrote about. And he writes about it without holding your hand. He does give some explainations, but he doesn't make each concept a teachable moment.

The story was flowing, pertinent, and easy to follow. There was little jumping around, and no going back ten pages to figure out what happened. There weren't any big puzzle pieces to fit together, and no digesting a bunch of smaller stories until everything fit. It was a real pleasure to just go with it and be lost within.

If any part of your teenage or early 20's years were spent in the 80's, I would highly recommend reading this. I guarantee you will at least once stumble upon a bit of trivia you flash back to and smile about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.