Corinne's Reviews > Hex Hall

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Jan 27, 16

bookshelves: young-adult, 2012, page-turner, fantasy, urban-fantasy, paranormal, paranormal-romance, vampires, witches
Read in May, 2012

Sophie has done it again - she used her magic and got into trouble. But this time, she's not just getting grounded. She has been sentenced to a school for witches like her, witches who don't necessarily follow the rules. And there are not only witches at Hex Hall - there are other creatures too and none of them are particularly pleasant to be around. It's hard to imagine life being worse than just living at Hex Hall, but don't you worry. Soon there is a rash of incidences that puts everyone on edge and Sophie has a hundred questions - but when she finally gets some answers, they are so not what she was expecting.

Sophie is snarky. She is funny and a good friend. She is a wallflower who is not afraid to stand up for herself when it really matters. The fantasy world, while not hugely detailed or laid out, set the stage well enough. There were several good twists in there and she definitely left you wanting more. Sometimes I felt it was a tiny bit sparse, where I would've liked a little more depth to the plot, but I'm not going to lie. I've already requested the next two from the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Hall.