Jeane's Reviews > The Mists of Avalon

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: hf-challenge
Read in January, 2010

Spoilers may be possible

The mists of Avalon is written from a different view than most known stories about Arthur, Camelot, the knights of the round table.... . This story shows a time before Arthur and Camelot. We get introduced to many characters but it starts with two main characters, two strong women: Viviane, priestess of Avalon and Ingraine, born in Avalon but married at a young age to a king.
These two women have in common Morgaine, daughter of Ingraine who spends her life from young age in Avalon with Viviane and becomes priestess. Her brother is Arthur who is helped by Avalon to become the king who brings peace to the country and swears to do this under the name of Avalon.

Lancelet is shown as a knight connected to Avalon but his love for Arthur and Guinevere, bring him also to the Christian court. Struggled between his love for Arthur and his forbidden love for Guinevere, he stays true to Arthur.

Morgaine is trained to follow up Viviane as priestess, once time comes to it. But in important event that makes Arthur king, changes Morgaine's life for ever. She struggles with this personally and keeps trying to do what the Goddess ask from her as priestess. As a strong priestess, she suffers as much as any ordinary woman. She fights for Avalon her whole live.

Merlin tries to show people that religion isn't important in the way that people beleive there is only one right religion. Merlin brings Avalon and Christianity together, which helps peace.

Many characters are important in the story, in which many things happen. Every little thing has influence on other things, like an unbreakable chain.

It took me seven years after writing it on my to read list, and I am so happy that I finally read it. I wa absorbed by the story which was very lifely, fast paced and intriguing. I loved the strong figure of Morgaine who keeps true to Avalon in the end. The story flows over in each other trough all that happens and with the many characters, so that it enver slows down or bores.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mists of Avalon.

01/01/2010 page 1
01/02/2010 page 16
1.59% "I love it already!"
01/02/2010 page 56
5.55% 5 comments
01/07/2010 page 262
25.97% "I love the Arthur part!!!!"
01/17/2010 page 823
81.57% "If it wouldn't be of th world outside of it, I would be one with this book for all the 1000 pages!!"
01/19/2010 page 1009
100.0% "Finished!"
show 5 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

JG (The Introverted Reader) Yay! You're reading it! Isn't this the oldest book on your to-read list?

Jeane :-) It is! And I am going to start the new year with it!

JG (The Introverted Reader) I hope it's a great start to your reading year! I have it, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

message 3: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I'm glad you liked it!

Jeane I loved it!

Heather Nice review, Jeane! :)