Ashley Gafford's Reviews > Charmfall

Charmfall by Chloe Neill

Jul 15, 12

Read on May 31, 2012

The third novel in the Dark Elite series by Chloe Neill is more mystery than action. The adepts and reapers have both lost their magic so most of the novel is spent trying to figure out what is going on, who took it and why.
While there wasn’t a ton of action in this book (due to no one have any power to create action with), Neill’s ability to create unique, fun characters make Charmfall a quick and entertaining read. The characters really are the driving forces behind this book with Scout and Lily taking the lead. I love their relationship and their smart comebacks. They are both very snarky and seem to truly understand each other, despite the fact that they haven’t known each other very long.
Another character I am always interested in seeing more of and learning more about is Sebastian. I was pleased to see that Sebastian has a pretty large role in this book. I feel that there is so much more that could be developed with his character. Throughout the first two books and this book as well, I feel that there have been many hints thrown about why he’s a reaper and what the reapers are really doing. Sebastian continuously tells Lily that things aren’t black and white and that the reapers aren’t all bad. I keep waiting to see what good the reapers are doing but it has yet to be explained.
I thought that the plotline about both the adepts and reapers losing their powers was an interesting one. Even though adepts plan on giving up their power when the time comes you can tell that none of them are ready to at this time. They are all desperate to figure out what is going on and get their powers back. They are so desperate in fact that they are willing to work with the reapers to get to the bottom of everything. Lily’s boyfriend, Jason, was the only one that really had a problem with this and I’m not sure what his deal was. For most of the book, Jason just seemed kind of moody. I realize he had a lot going on with his family but I just didn’t understand why he was so upset about it.
The one thing I had a problem with this book about wasn’t even really about the book itself. I’ve heard that there are no plans for any future Dark Elite novels. I feel like that when Neill began writing this series, she did so planning for it to be a very long series (like her other series, The Chicagoland Vampires). There were little tidbits of information here and there that I felt were placed there to come back to at a later time. The part about Sebastian and the reapers was one thing and also the part about where Lily’s parents are. I hope that things change and there are more books because these are both storylines I am interested in learning.
Overall, I thought Charmfall was a fun book. The character’s witty banter made for a quick read. I feel that there is a lot more to be told in this series and I sincerely hope that I eventually get the chance to see more adventures for Lily and Scout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charmfall.