Cara Ginter's Reviews > Prophet

F_50x66
Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: arc-from-publisher
Read from May 31 to June 04, 2012

I must say, I was blown away by Prophet. I haven’t read as much Christian fiction in recent years as I used to, but at first glance, the cover of Prophet just... called to me. It’s absolutely gorgeous and certainly captures the beauty of the text inside.

I’ve never read any Christian fiction that was considered fantasy, so that certainly had me intrigued. What would it be like? How would it be set up? Would it compare to fantasy in other genres, or would it be simply a watered down imitation? I was very pleasantly surprised. It was really, really good. In a “if I had picked this up in the bookstore, I might have thought it mainstream fiction” sort of way.

This book is the story of Ela of Parne, a young woman with an “unfortunate” sister (sickly, prematurely aging) and who has a difficult time being everything that she thinks she ought to be. She speaks out of place and gets into trouble, although she does try her hardest to behave. But then she’s offered a choice by the Infinite, their God. He wants her to become his prophet and go into the nations and offer mercy if they’ll worship him instead of their other gods. Being a prophet is a heavy burden, however. Prophets all die young and often in very terrible ways. Nevertheless she accepts the job and goes out to cause all sorts of (justified) trouble in some neighbouring countries.

I particularly liked Ela who was strong and kind and who genuinely grieved for those who were going the wrong way. Who were causing themselves and their countries unnecessary pain. I also liked that she wasn’t perfect; she made mistakes, she doubted herself, she struggled internally with the choices that she made and she would go to any length to right her wrongs. She often resisted against the directions she was given which made her human. She was often impatient or scared, which made her real. She was a convincing, believing character.

The other character in the story who sort of emerges as a main character is Kien; he was once an ambassador and then imprisoned on trumped up charges. I thought him just as well rounded a character as Ela; he had a strong back story, believable motives and, best of all, he was really very entertaining. The banter that came up between Ela and Kien was wonderful and made me laugh out loud several times.

The world of Prophet was very well developed. All of the characters, not just the main two, were wonderfully written. The storyline was great; R.J. Larson had the pacing down perfectly. All in all, I would definitely recommend Prophet; it really was good. And I highly look forward to reading it’s sequel, Judge, when it comes out in November of 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prophet.

05/31/2012 page 77