Lottie Panebianco's Reviews > The Virgin's Lover

The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory

May 31, 12

The sequel to The Queen’s Fool, it was equally appealing but great because it was the sequel and picked right up where the Queen’s Fool left off. Luckily, it was published just as I finished reading the Queen’s Fool, which was nice since I discovered the Queen's Fool by chance. This story doesn’t feature Hannah and her first person narrative, instead it focuses on Elizabeth as she comes into being a queen and her trials and challenges doing so. Her lover (as in the title) is Robert Dudley who we got to know well in the Queen’s Fool and now who we get to know better as the slimeball he was hinted at being in the Queen’s Fool. But, the story was quite a bit drier than the Queen’s Fool, as it concentrated on life at court which was really quite stuffy and boring—--lots of fancy dresses and not much else except confinement and eyes watching whatever you do. Too bad the Queen couldn’t say “I’m the Queen and I’ll sleep with whomever I want and you will not say anything to anybody,” but alas she couldn’t: being a woman precluded being a Queen, apparently. The book ended wonderfully with Elizabeth making a difficult choice but a great one, and you know from history that it ends just as more exciting things happen in her reign.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin's Lover.