Kyra's Reviews > The Child Thief

The Child Thief by Brom

Jul 30, 14

bookshelves: reviewed, fairytales, made-me-cry
Read in June, 2013

Right. So, I've re-read the book and up-ed the rating a star. I love Brom's re-imagining of Barrie's Peter and the entire world. The characters are distinct and the illustrations are gorgeous. And I'm assuming my utter hatred and/or rage at certain characters and their actions shows how much I cared about the outcome.

Rereading and knowing the ending helped. It may have also helped that I'm several years older and can overcome the instinctual "IT'S NOT FAIR" over well... everything that happens (especially that ending). I think those couple of extra years also helped me see the book in a new light. I moved beyond the surface and was able to appreciate the violent and sexual tones to this story with a more complete understanding.

Parts of this book gripped me and others well... did not. And I think that's why this book gets 3 stars instead of 4. All the elements (character, plot, setting etc.) were woven together beautifully, but it didn't completely capture me like some other books on my shelf.

It's definitely worth a look. Actually, I would recommend everyone at least try this book, especially fans of the original Peter. With its chilling and dark undertones, it really is a fantastic re-envisioning of a classic story.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Child Thief.