Emily's Reviews > Cruel & Unusual

Cruel & Unusual by Patricia Cornwell

May 31, 12

Read in May, 2012

WARNING: If you intend to read this as a part of the Scarpetta series and haven't read the previous three books, you might not want to read this review.

Chief Medical Examiner Kay Scarpetta's duties include autopsies of inmates executed by the state of Virginia. Her latest proves to be a little unusual. Then, when other people connected to the case start dying and the fingerprint of the executed man shows up at the scene, Kay's office is called into question. She's trying to solve several murders, as well as clear her name.
I liked Kay a little bit more in this book. She's not all meloncholy and pining over Mark, because he's dead (a fact revealed in the first chapter that made me feel like I must have missed something, or skipped one of the books in the series. I didn't; this information is just dropped on us rather unceremoniously). I like her relationship with her niece, Lucy, who is becoming quite the computer genius. I liked detective Marino more, too. He seems to have really shaped up since his wife left him (something that totally did happen in the last book). He's less overtly racist, sexist and crude.
The mystery concerning these murders and their link to the executed man is fascinating, with just the right amount of technical detail and a very realistic timeline. I will continue to read this series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cruel & Unusual.