Alexi's Reviews > A Wizard of Mars

A Wizard of Mars by Diane Duane

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction
Read from May 31 to June 01, 2012

Not Duane's best book ever, but its heart overcomes its flaws. Solidly enjoyable.

The not-so-good: Nita's side of the plot lagged noticeably in the middle third of the book, and the detail heavy narration on every "spell" grew tedious. Then again, I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, so I have less patience for such details in any case. Still, it felt more...cluttered, than it needed to be, with too many characters running around. (Particularly in the beginning.) However, I simply scanned when I got bored—and if I skipped a few descriptions of things, well, it didn't effect my enjoyment of the rest of it.

The good: Character growth. Nita and Kit are hitting the teenage years, and Duane handles aging them expertly. They're still the characters you love, but equipped with a very natural mixture of new wisdom and new confusion as they begin to approach the adult world. Both are handling some form of loss, and it is gently poignant. We also see some interesting family dynamics in both households, especially when Kit's oldest sister comes home. Finally, the last third of the book is exciting, and very reminiscent of earlier books in the series, with just Kit and Nita in on the action. (Something that I missed in the last installment.)

Worth reading, if you like the series. I have a feeling that I will enjoy it even more on the second read through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wizard of Mars.

05/31/2012 page 100