Ridley's Reviews > The Skinny Rules: The 101 Secrets Every Skinny Girl Knows

The Skinny Rules by Molly Morgan

May 31, 2012

bookshelves: nope

I participated in a market research project for Harlequin a while back. As a thank you, they sent us a $75 check and three books. This was one of the three.

Putting aside for a moment what an insensitive and inappropriate choice a diet book is as a thank you gift, I'd like to clue you all in on something: this book is full of shit.

You see, I'm a skinny woman. Have been my entire life. At my very largest, I was a size 10. Mooooo, amirite? Currently, I'm about a size 6. And contrary to the book's claim that "skinny girls live by a set of Skinny Rules" only two things have contributed to my size and shape: genetics and sheer dumb luck. There's nothing about my lifestyle than an overweight person can learn from. I drink a can of sugary soda every day. I substitute cream for milk in box mac n' cheese and add fried bacon and onions to it. Anything less than whole milk can DIAF.

You see, despite the media desperately wanting the "obesity epidemic" to be a simple matter of fat people being lazy lardasses who make bad decisions, it's not that simple. Every body is different, and focusing on what you eat, rather than how genetic engineering and hormones have changed our food while our lives started to revolve around sitting for long stretches, is missing the big picture. Additionally, any book that makes dieting about body image is fat shaming, plain and simple. This book is just a guilt trip from your mother that you can hold in your hands for $12.95. It's asking you to pay for the privilege of being demeaned.

And this is why a diet book is an inappropriate thank you gift. Not only is it awkward for any recipient who struggles with body image issues, it also puts a diet book in the hands of people who don't diet, and who see the book for the pile of bullshit it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Skinny Rules.

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Muses *slow claps*

message 2: by Fani (new)

Fani loves angst Well said! I've been a size 8-10 for the past 15 years (6 in college) and have never done any exercise or eaten any skimmed milk products in my life. I also eat potato chips or ice cream on a daily basis. My best friend in college was size 4 and she ate more than most boys in our company did; no hormonal disorder either. She's barely a size 6 now.
Genetics as you said is all it takes!

Soapykitty My mom has been thin all her life and all she drinks is coke and she snacks on bbq chips throughout the day.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly This was my first thought when I saw the title of this ludicrous book. If I didn't have the particular genetics I was born with, I would be humongous. People would be in sad shape if they took any eating well secrets from me.