Bg's Reviews > The Raging Quiet

The Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordan

Jun 11, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from June 09 to 10, 2012 , read count: 1

Wow! I started reading this book and I just couldn't put it down. I can't believe it got through it so fast. This is the best book I've read all summer. All read, in fact! When I first saw the cover of this book, I thought it was nice and the title was fantastic, and the description of the book sounded interested.

Marnie is a sixteen year old uneducated girl who marries a significantly older man to save her family from poverty after her father is suddenly struck with a stroke. Her husband Sir Isherwood is extremely fond of drinking and makes Marnie's wedding night a complete nightmare. So horrible, in fact, that Marnie prays that her husband will stop wanting her. On the third day of their marriage, she finds her husband after falling through his own roof while fixing it. Overwhelmed with grief Marnie runs to the town priest confession her supposed sin and is overhead by the towns people who think she is a witch. Which is just one of her struggles.

She also meets a young man who every calls Raver, a madman, but his madness is only deaf and the frustration that no one can understand him. Marnie and Raven quickly befriend each other and Marnie teaches him, what they call, hand-words.

As the story progresses Marnie is watched over my the town Prist and Raven who is extremely sweet to her. The book reminded me of several books I've read in the past that I absolutely love and would highly recommend if you loved this book as much as I did. Marnie not only has to endure the sneer of the towns people thinking she is a witch, but she actually has to go through a real wife trial and the grief of trying to under stand Raven who so wants to be understood.

This really is a loving story of acceptance. The romance that develops in the story is just so beautiful. Yup, that's right, beautiful and tender and caring. The relationships in Marnie's life really does set the tone for this amazing story. I've love to have it in my collections.

Book I'd recommend like this:

By these Ten bones - Clare b. Dunkle

Zel - Donna Jo Napoli

Song of the Magdalene -Donna Jo Napoli

The Telling Pool - David Clement-Davis

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raging Quiet.