Kaye Vincent's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

May 31, 2012

Read in July, 2010

Beautifully constructed, with accessible but intelligent prose. And the narrative concept - what a conceit! What a delight! How emotive and jarring and heart wrenching. Okay, I suppose I'd have to agree with some of my friends, who feel the middle section goes on a bit. But who wants it to end? And when it does - oh my. No mere tears - too busy sobbing and wiping away the snot. This is what a tear-jerker is all about. And why oh why did the film-makers not have the courage to keep the same ending? I would give anything to see that through visually. So sad they had to go for schmaltz instead. Still great to watch if you haven't read the book, but once you have, the film just can't quite hit the spot.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kerry Loved this book! Also felt the film was a bit of a let down as I watched it afterwards.

Kaye Vincent Wrong way round I suppose! I suspect film first and book second would have been better, but if I ever see a film first I rarely go on to read the book. For me a book is all about exploration and if I know it first I'm not so tempted. Have you read the next novel 'Her Fearful Symmetry'...? I must do a review for that too.

Kerry I haven't yet, but it is on my wish list! (Which is a mile long!!)