Pieter Kuijpers's Reviews > Agile Coaching

Agile Coaching by Rachel Davies

Jun 24, 12

Read from May 31 to June 24, 2012

I read this book when I started on a new project as team lead for one of my clients. The client is in the process of adopting agile but the team was very inexperienced with agile practices. Having worked in agile teams at other clients, the task of coaching the team to be more agile fell upon me.

As such, I feel I'm the ideal audience for this book. The authors assume basic knowledge of agile practices and focus on techniques to help a team apply them better. It's very practical, more a collection of tips from the trenches than a theoretical treatise. I found many of the tips to be immediately usable in my situation. Don't expect any life-changing eye-openers though, most of the tips are pretty basic, like the importance of having an iteration demo (and the required preparation) and retrospective.

The book is pleasant to read. The main text is interspersed with examples and stories from a typical project, which make it light reading.

All in all a very practical and readable book for the agile practitioner that aspires to do more or better coaching of teammates. For experienced agile coaches or scrum masters there may be too little new information in it, but I liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agile Coaching.

06/03/2012 page 177