Becky's Reviews > Star Born

Star Born by Andre Norton

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: vintage-scifi, librivox-gutenberg-for-free
Read from May 31 to June 04, 2012

"What of our children—the second and third generations born on this new world? They will have no memories of Terra's green hills and blue seas. Will they be Terrans—or something else?"
—Tas Kordov, Record of the First Years

Starborn follows two young men, as their adventures cross paths in enemy territory. The first young man, Dalgard, is of Terran origin, but is more like a new species of human on another planet. His coming-of-age quest becomes a fight to save his people and their allies’ way of life. Raf, a flitter pilot who was conscripted for deep space exploration, has come to this planet to seek other life, never expecting to find the old Terran colonists.

Together and alternately they explore what it means to be human, what allegiances one has to a home-planet, and what it means to be a free man.

Really this is one of my favorite Norton’s from her earlier years. It seemed to drag a bit in the beginning, and I felt as though there were some unresolved character issues (like why Raff so intrinsically distrusted the rest of his crew eve after being on a ship for months with them), and ideas she could have expanded on (how did Pax come apart back on Terra?), but all those would have turned this into a much longer book, and it is what it is, which is pulp scifi. The ending, which I enjoyed so much, really made up for any other issue I would have had with it. I really enjoyed the characters of Dalgard and Sssuri,
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Born.