Ashish's Reviews > One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

One of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde

May 31, 12

Read in June, 2012

The best part of the entire Thursday Next series stems from the fact that when I was 5, I used to demand original stories from my dad containing all of my favorite characters from other comics. Crossover fiction can be dangerous if not handled well - can turn into a street brawl of dozens of main characters fighting it out for the lead, while the story teeters on a fragile, too-small base of insufficient support roles. Only three people have really pulled it off well; Dad, Terry Pratchett (where his characters don't use their real names but you know exactly who they are) and Jasper Fforde. His books are ones that you need to be a long-term, avid, cross-genre reader to appreciate, rough diamonds that add a polished facet with every time you come back for a re-read armed with the polishing cloth of a dozen other books read in the interim. The stories aren't parodies, they're tributes with a life of their own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Our Thursdays Is Missing.