Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)'s Reviews > The Shapeshifter's Secret

The Shapeshifter's Secret by Heather Ostler

4719633
Jun 04, 12

Read from May 31 to June 01, 2012

Eh... Sometimes I read a book that I just can't connect with. I really wanted to like this book. I tried soooo hard. I even read the whole thing when I wanted to stop 3/4 of the way in. But I just couldn't get the warm fuzzies about this one.

First off, the characters fell really flat in my opinion. Totally predictable. I never felt like I learned anything about them throughout the book. They also never seemed "real"-- if you know what I mean. The only word I can think of is lackluster. That's how the characters felt to me. Julia was alright, but she didn't wow me. I even had a hard time believing the whole shapeshifter aspect of her life. (That really could have been thought out better.) The best friend was ok. She was supportive and attentive. I liked her well enough. But the "villains" of the books I just didn't get. There wasn't much attention given to them to help me understand why they were supposed to be so diabolical.

The plot also didn't wow me. I was promised a fast paced action-packed adventure, but that is not what I got. Yes, the plot moved quickly but it felt more like the cause of that was due to the jumpy nature of the story instead of the "action." There were many gaps and questions that I had during and after reading that were never answered. That's never a good feeling as a reader.

One positive that I can say about the book is that there is a nice little surprise towards the end concerning one of the characers. I was rather surprised by some events. You'll have to read to see how that one plays out. I also thought the author did a nice job with her descriptions.

Like I said, I really wanted to like this book but it just didn't work for me. I love the cover and the idea behind the book, but I know I won't be reading any other books in this series. They were not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shapeshifter's Secret.

05/31/2012 page 54