Jacky Faber's Reviews > Texas Splendor

Texas Splendor by Lorraine Heath

Sep 03, 14

bookshelves: cowboys, historical, romance, series
Read in May, 2012, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** The third book of the Leigh brothers, this one is about Austin, the youngest brother. I didn't read book # 2 about Dallas, as I didn't like Dallas from the first book but maybe I will to get the full picture. Apparently, there was a lot of the back story in book #2 that led into Austin's story and the reason he spent five years in prison.

I was saddened to find out that Austin had spent five years in prison and had lost his innocence, which was so sweet in book #1. Anyway, when he gets out of prison and returns home, he finds out that Becky, who he is still in love with is married. Austin is heart broken and leaves the ranch for Austin to try and clear his name. On his way he stops at a homestead and meets Lorree, who is living alone for mysterious reasons.

Austin has a knife wound he received before he left for Austin. He gets a fever and Loree nurses him. During this time, they make love once because both are so wounded and feel alone. Loree becomes pregnant, which she tells Austin. Austin convinces Loree to marry him for the babies sake. They move back to the Leigh ranch and gradually fall in love.

Two things bothered me about this book. Loree's insecurity about Austin's love for her and her jealousy of Becky. Most folks have a first young love, but that does not mean the person is still in love with them. The fact that Austin would tell Loree about Becky I thought was not smart. I don't want to know about my lover's former girlfriends. That is their past and doesn't have anything to do with me.

Austin becoming a world renowned violinist I found implausible. He hadn't played the violin in five years and he was just learning to read music. Even in the 1880's, he would not have had the skill to be exceptionally good to tour the world.

One more thing, Loree was named for a Civil War song, Loreen, which was discussed in the book. Apparently when sung at the soldier's camp fires, the song would make them very homesick and some of the men would desert. I was listening to The Prairie Home Companion the other Sunday, and Garrison Keillor sang the song. What a coincidence. I didn't find it especially touching though.

Read this again in Aug. 2014. I think I enjoyed the story more the 2nd reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Texas Splendor.