Roxanne's Reviews > Girlchild

Girlchild by Tupelo Hassman

Jun 03, 2012

Read from May 31 to June 03, 2012

This is a very interesting read that leaves you thinking about the narrator Rory Hendrix and her life of hard knocks.

The chapters in Girlchild are very short and often leave the reader with clues, but not complete answers. I had to read very carefully so I could pull together the important information versus the interesting gossip.

I didn't mind the unique style. It helped me to see life through young Rory's eyes. She was a smart and spunky girl. Unfortunately, her family was in need of help. She had to experience things little girls should not have to go through.

I found it heartwarming and heartbreaking how Rory described her mother. I kept hoping that the Hendrix family would catch a break and something life changing would happen. Well, it did for Rory. Just not sure if the Girlchild's life ever would be a stable and happy one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girlchild.

Tara I really liked this book. Enjoy!

Roxanne I just started and thought to myself I'm probably really going to like this book or not like this book. Glad you are giving it a thumbs up. From reading your reviews, I think we have a similar taste in books.

Thanks again Tara!

Tara I also figured this book would be a "like it or not" kind of book. I've also noticed our similar tastes and have added a couple books that you've reviewed to my "to read" list! But there's definitely a similar trend in authors and genres!