Shala Howell's Reviews > The Great Brain

The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald

May 31, 2012

bookshelves: childrens-books, dream-big-2012-children-s-books
Read from May 31 to June 14, 2012

What The Five-Year-Old Thought: "I can't explain why I liked it except that JD is telling the story. Tom is the one with the Great Brain and he rescued a few guys."

What Mommyo thought: My husband is in the process of reading this to our 5YO. Both are really enjoying it (true confessions -- my husband read this as a child, so his enjoyment may be partly nostalgia).

When they got to the bit about making homemade ice cream, The 5YO said: “Daddyo, I want to jump into the book right that second.”

You should definitely try this one at your house. :)

Update -- Potential Spoiler Alert & Parental Warning:
Last night we got to the part where one of the characters dies. It's a very tough chapter. My husband who was reading it, skimmed over it, because The Five-Year-Old wasn't in a good place to deal with the sadness or the reasons for the death (she was having a tough night already).

I mention it because you may want to read this book before sharing it with your children, so that you'll be prepared for the questions they'll have about some of the tough subjects it raises.

Also, the attitudes toward Native Americans are not, shall we say, in line with current thinking. You'll want to be prepared to deal with questions stemming from that -- or to simply address it head on while your child is reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Brain.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Anna I loved these as a kid. Your review just reminded me that I should read them with my boys. Thanks!