colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ±'s Reviews > The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)

The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30) by Terry Pratchett

1209800
Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read from June 04 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy

3.5

I've been reading the Discworld series for years now, and I've always generally enjoyed it. I mean, sure, there are ones I like better than others, but there have never been one I would say was just bad.

But, for some reason, I kept putting off starting the Tiffany Aching series. Something about it being YA, maybe - which is totally weird considering how much YA I read - or maybe it's because the covers made me think they'd be written even younger than YA. Or, maybe, I think it was just not wanting to get introduced to a new character/arc in the multitudinous Discworld universe.

But I finally bit the bullet - and I'm glad I did. :>

One thing that did not happen is that Pratchett did not talk down to his audience - which some authors who write for adults do when they try their hands at a book aimed at younger people. Really, his writing style and tone didn't change much at all. The only differences is that Tiffany is a younger protagonist and, maybe, it's a bit lighter on the satire than some of his others.

But it still had a lot of really cool observations and witty asides, which has always been one of the highlights of the Discworld books.

And it doesn't hurt that it's, essentially, a witch book, because the witches' series has always been one of my faves. I just love the way the witches are presented in the Discworld - more a brand of intelligence and rationality than hocus pocus. (And the cameo from Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg was awesome.)

I also liked the mythology and culture presented in this series. Even though we've seen the Mac Nac Feegles before, they're much more central to this story. Pictsies, with their blue tattoos of woad, with their red hair and drinking and fighting, but with a code of honor all their own, are clearly based on Celtic stereotypes and legends. And the chalk figures and dolmens or portal tombs or whatever else was in the book are fun features from the English countryside.

There were parts that dragged a bit, and parts where things were a bit too convenient, we'll say, and it took me awhile to be able to figure out everything the Feegles were saying, but, overall, it was a really nice edition to the Discworld cosmos, and I recommend it to any and all Discworld fans. Especially fans of the witches. And I definitely look forward to getting the next in the series. :>
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30).

06/06/2012 page 168
45.0% "At some point I had the thought "OMG, they're Scottish Smurfs". Way cooler than the Smurfs, though. LOL"