Sam Kasbrick's Reviews > Shadow Rising

Shadow Rising by Kendra Leigh Castle

Jul 29, 12

Read in July, 2012

Originally reviewed on my blog: SIK Book Reviews

Okay, so I wasn't super stoked when I found out that Damien was a main character in this book (he was mentioned a bit in the first two books of this series). I didn't really like his character in the other books. He was a 'bad boy' and didn't come across as a very likeable character, due to his careless, selfish ways. Even at the beginning of this novel, he was not likeable. But, to my surprise, I didn't mind him being one of the two focuses of the story. His character developed nicely throughout the story and I even found myself caring about this previously a** of a character. Who doesn't enjoy reading about a bad-boy-turned-good when that right girl came around to change him? Ariane, on the other hand was a very likeable character. She comes across, at first, as very innocent, due to the fact that she had basically been imprisoned - never seeing the outside world - for over 800 years. But she has lethal surprises underneath her innocent-seeming exterior. I fully enjoyed being taken on her journey through the entirety of the novel.

The story was good. I've come around to like that each book focuses on two characters (one couple), assuming that the last book in the series ends how I hope it will. Each book deals with different characters, who are all connected to each other in some way and they are all connected to the bigger picture of the whole story. So, what I'm hoping from the last book is that it will deal with all of the characters in order to wrap up the whole storyline.

Again, the writing was very well done. I was especially impressed due to the fact that this is an ARC that I received and ARCs are usually a bit raw because they are not completely ready for publication yet. Suffice it to say I was very pleased with the quality of writing.

Overall, just like the other books in this series, I would recommend this book to fans of paranormal and romance. There was a good mix of romance and action in this novel, which was good. One thing I haven't commented on about these books yet is the covers...well, we'll just say I think all the covers are attractive ;)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Rising.