Jen Kirchner's Reviews > Dry Spell

Dry Spell by Angela Wallace

May 31, 12

I didn't read the first book of the series but I was able to slip into Dry Spell quite easily. The main character, Aileen, is easily likeable -- she's a little self-depreciating and her sarcastic quips are smart and entertaining. Though the story becomes more dangerous with each page, the book never gets overly dark and oppressive. I suppose it's hard to get too dark when the majority of the sleuths are amateurs who make rookie mistakes, but I enjoyed that aspect. It gave the story a lot of levity and made me want to read on.

The action is the main focus of Dry Spell and is very satisfying, not to mention diverse. I never felt as if I was reading a repeat fight from previous chapters. There's also a little romance in the book but it's not the main focus. (In case anyone's wondering, the romance is PG-rated and actually quite sweet.) Though I enjoyed the action and romance, my favorite aspect of the book is Wallace's inclusion of unique and obscure components that most paranormal books don't use. These original ideas are what made the overall story a unique surprise -- and the ending so satisfying.

If you enjoy action-packed paranormal stories that don't get overly dark, you'll enjoy Dry Spell.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dry Spell.