Kelli's Reviews > Glamorous Illusions

Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from May 31 to June 21, 2012

I was weary about this one. It's a great storyline, the author is good at spinning those up. However, I had a problem with the authors last books the 'river of time' series. Because the writing was super cheesy and silly sometimes. It's like the skeleton of the plot as a whole is great, but what's inside is mush. This one, sadly, follows those lines half the time.

Glamorous Illusions starts out super polite, the writing is almost over explanatory. Everything is explained, even when it doesn't need to be. Or over analysed. It's also very melodramatic in the way it's handled. I can almost hear the soap opera music playing, especially in the first few chapters. The main character, Cora, has something to say about everything. I mean everything! This gets old. In the first few chapters, her stubborn nature keeps butting heads with everyone else's opinions for her family. Those emotions seem overkill. It doesn't help with connecting to her characters or even feeling bad for her. Their is just something about this author where the storyline draws one in, but the writing can draw one completely out just as fast. It's definitely a catch 22.
The author uses multiple points of view, and for once this actually helps with understanding the POV of the main characters. Their is a lot going on with the story line. The story does have some major culture holes riddled throughout. Illegitimacy among the upper class, in that time, was never recognized. Much alone talked about so freely with servants. So having a story based on an illegitimate daughter actually coming out in society is far fetched.

Lisa T. Bergren does have moments where she shines, and that includes her side characters. If she wrote her side characters half as funny or charming or complex as she writes her main characters, her books would be much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glamorous Illusions.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Nice review, the cover looked intriguing, but I was worried it would ver quite predictable and too sweet. I guess I be giving this one a miss.

message 2: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura deLuna I picked this at random off the shelves at the library... and now im finding out that its supposed to be "christain"... not sure if I want to read it now a lot of authors have a really bad habit of letting their beliefs TAKE OVER the book...

message 3: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Laura wrote: "I picked this at random off the shelves at the library... and now im finding out that its supposed to be "christain"... not sure if I want to read it now a lot of authors have a really bad habit of..."

That's happened to me too, and I definitely agree. Nothing against religious devotion, but I don't need to be preached to when I'm reading for pleasure.