Justin Sorbara-Hosker's Reviews > Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls

Batman, Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder

Jun 29, 12

Read on June 29, 2012

Another win for Scott Snyder, much better than whatever the hell Grant Morrison was doing. Some of the best Batman writing in years. Snyder is clearly the man, & the right guy for this character right now.

-more self contained story than Black Mirror. Tighter, no offshoots or distractions.
-brings the detective element of his character to the forefront
-dark, as Batman should be. Some people might be tired of him being obsessed, paranoid, unreachable, etc - but that is who he is. Damaged.
-new villain, & a good one! Ones? Anyway, a welcome addition, with a realistic, intimidating henchman/henchmen. Talon is a badass, & a legitimate threat.
-uses Batman history & weaves in new history convincingly
-very much feels like it could be in Nolan universe, even with Nightwing/Robin. But I don't think this Batman is yelling all the damn time.

-art not as quite as good as Black Mirror, at least to me. But then I'm nuts about Francavilla's stuff. Capullo's Bruce Wayne is waaaayyyy too pretty (as are a lot of people not wearing masks).
-a bit of a deus ex machina in the final reveal, that I cannot mention without spoilers. Not sure why it happens, how Batman knows - or why it matters, though it kind of fits.
-upside down pages, which I thought was deliberate at first, as it fit the story at that point in time (coincidentally), but its just a misprint

... despite that nitpicking, entirely worth reading. Be aware, if you're not reading the issues, this is a cliffhanger - & you'll want to see where it goes - in other words, they got the job done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman, Vol. 1.

message 1: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Ferguson Not a misprint. Original issue had the upside down pages, too. They rotate as he goes more loopy.