Jennifer's Reviews > Silas Marner

Silas Marner by George Eliot

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: classic-lit, fiction, historical-fiction, own
Read from May 31 to June 02, 2012

When I read the synopsis of “Silas Marner” I thought that this was going to be one of those classic heartfelt easy reads that would make you feel all warm and fuzzy. The first portion of the book is definitely slow. The first chapter was easy going for the most part and Silas’s past and how he came to Raveloe was interesting. You feel bad for Silas – for everything that he has lost but hope comes when he gets to Raveloe for a new beginning. Once Silas gets to town though the book begins to creep by as you are introduced to the various townspeople. While you drag yourself through the beginning and introductions, you are given important background information on why certain characters act the way that they do and what motivates them.

George Elliot’s writing is without a doubt of the era she lived in. For those unaccustomed to the turns of phrase and vocabulary, the regional dialects can be an impairment to an easy read, however the dialects do add interest to the story. Filled with religious references, moral and ethical musings there is little doubt that she intended her readers to learn from her characters’ errors.

A tale of karma, the characters of “Silas Marner” reap what they sow. Elliot proves that your behaviors and actions have consequences and can come back to haunt you. She has succeeded in demonstrating to us that what we assume people to be is not always accurate. Sometimes the thing that seems most significant to us is just a substitute for what really is important.

And while we all hate to admit it . . . everything happens for a reason.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silas Marner.

06/01/2012 page 80