Hannah Scott's Reviews > The Field Guide

The Field Guide by Holly Black

F 50x66
May 31, 12

I was pleasantly surprised by The Field Guide written by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black. I was initially hesitant when the librarian handed me the book because even though everyone says not to judge a book by its cover, it was hard not to. The cover had an illustration of a faerie and used a lot of earthy and dark colors. Also, the text used on the cover gave it a mythical vibe, which again made me a little nervous as I am not usually the first to jump at a mythical story. As I worked my way through the first few pages, I noticed some interesting illustrations. One was a picture of the young character Jared holding a candle up to a large portrait hanging on a wall. This illustration was the only one in the book that was done in color and on glossy paper which gave it more of a real-life effect. Next, there was a two-page spread of a map of the Spiderwick Estate. I thought this was pretty cool to see especially for those readers who choose to read the sequels to The Field Guide. I really enjoyed the use of illustrations throughout the book because they lent themselves to clarifying the scenes that I was picturing in my head. Finally, as far as the style and layout of the book, I liked the soft and uneven edges of the pages. This gave the book this old secretive feeling which really went along with the story.
The story was quick and easy to read. There was also just the right amount of suspense that allowed the plot to be carried out in such a way that left me wanting more. Also, the characterization was phenomenal in the sense that this family and the mythical events felt so real. The only real negative comment I have towards this book is the way that the mythical creatures played games on the children at night. For example, one night the faerie tied Mallory’s hair to all her bed posts. This could scare the younger audience because many kids get afraid of going to bed by themselves, especially after reading something scary. Overall, I thought this was a great book and I would be interested in reading the sequels.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Field Guide.