Hannah Scott's Reviews > The Strange Case of Origami Yoda

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger

F_50x66
May 31, 12

I must admit that I was a bit skeptical when I initially picked up the book due to the illustration on the front cover. However, as I worked my way through the book, I found myself actually enjoying the story. Tom Angleberger’s style of writing was unique and intriguing. I enjoyed the use of different fonts to distinguish characters as well as the illustrations to help keep the characters straight.
The Strange Case of Origami Yoda teaches children the valuable life lesson of believing in one’s self and having self-confidence. The story takes place at McQuarrie Middle School which I think helps the book become more relatable for its intended audience. The main characters of the story also help the book appeal to middle school children because they represent the various stereotypes that these kids often see at school. For example, Dwight serves as the strange, outlandish friend, Tator Tot as the jock, and the rest of the gang in between. The plot follows a logical series of happenings, even though there is no reference to how much time has passed between Origami Yoda’s episodes. The climax of the story does not come until the very end when the secret question and answer regarding Sara is revealed. However, I think that by cutting out a few of the stories, the climax could have been revealed sooner and the book would have been a little faster paced. That being said, the climax of the story also reveals the main theme of the book. All it took was for Tommy to actually believe in himself to approach Sara. Sure, he felt reassured by Origami Yoda’s advice, but it goes to show that even the prettiest girl in the school could fall in love with a nice, unpopular boy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case of Origami Yoda.