Mithrendiel's Reviews > Dark Frost

Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

May 30, 2012

Read in May, 2012

I had a harder time getting into Dark Frost. I'm not really sure why- the story starts off with a Reaper attack, which would have been exciting, but something about it didn't grab me. It took me a few chapters to really get going. Once it did, I thoroughly enjoyed the action.

"But why me? Why do I have to be the one to make sacrifices?"
"Because you are strong enough to make them, Gwendolyn," Nike said. You're strong enough to keep going no matter how dark and hopeless things get, even if you don't think you are."

The story it in this novel is darker than it's predecessors. Loki's power is on the rise, and a lot of depressing things happen. People die, sacrifices are made, defeats must be weathered. But in the midst of all the sorrow, there are a few exceptionally heart warming and uplifting moments.

Seeing Nott (the wolf Gwen helped) return did my heart good. In fact, all of my favorite parts of this book involved Nott. I guess I'm a sucker of stories with noble heroes and their trusty hounds.

Logan gave me a crooked grin. "You won't hut me. I know you won't."
"How can you be so sure?" I whispered.
His grin widened. "Because you're that Gypsy girl, and I'm the bad-boy Spartan. And I think it's time we were finally together, don't you?"

Fans of the ever-sexy Logan will not be disappointed with Dark Frost. Gwen and Logan have their share of struggles, but they finally take steps to making things more concrete between them. I'm also thrilled to note that the Frost series is still 100% love triangle free (and the people rejoiced!).

This novel looses a star due to the bone head maneuvers Gwen pulls. In Dark Frost, she's more angry and snappish, inclined to alienate friends and superiors. She also makes terrible decisions. In previous books she's proven herself a clever and resourceful person. I like to think her love of comic books has prepared her for a variety of difficult situations, but that may just be the geek in me talking. In Dark Frost Gwen does at least one massively important thing with no forethought, no planning, no backup, and no caution. One might chalk this type of action up to normal, impulsive teenage behavior if we'd seen any signs of such foolishness from Gwen in previous books, but we haven't. She's proven herself over and over again, and in this book, when the stakes are at their highest, she really drops the ball. The fact that this this mistake, and it's consequences end up moving the story forward in very interesting ways does not diminish my frustration with Gwen. I just love that girl too much. My beloved super snarky, ultra geeky heroine shouldn't make stupid mistakes, darn it! Ah well, I am excited to see where the story goes now. The next book promises to be very interesting.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Frost.

Elise I absolutely agree, I mean I'd find myself not paying attention almost going through the notions when reading this but it was amazing once you got into the story.

Oh and could she have left the excerpt for crimson frost at a better cliffhanger?!

Mithrendiel haha - see, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I didn't get around to reading the excerpt, Elise! I finished this book while on jury duty and completely spaced picking it back up to read the extras afterwards. I must go back and do so!

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one having attention issues in the beginning. Dark Frost felt a bit like a bridge book to me. With the slow start and all the huge defeats Gwen experiences in the book, it seemed like it was setting us up for some amazing action (and hopefully victories) in the next installment.