Christina Boulard's Reviews > The Mine

The Mine by John A. Heldt

Jun 13, 12

Read from May 30 to June 13, 2012

Let's be honest here. When you pick up a self-published book--even if it has a kick-ass blurb--it's hit or miss. So when Mr. Heldt, the author of The Mine, contacted me and asked me to review it...Well, I was skeptical. I almost declined. But I love a good time travel story, so I went into it with low expectations.
Boy, was I wrong.

The Mine reminded me very much of both Stephen King's 11/22/63, and the movie, Back to the Future, but it takes a bit to get moving.

The beginning is slow. Joel, the main character, is difficult to like at first. He's cocky and arrogant.
But when he meets Tom, things change. I'll even go as far as to say....It gets magical.

Mr. Heldt can write. His way with words is absolutely wondrous.
His characters are vivid and beautiful and alive. I loved them all, but Katie especially found her way into my heart.

Through the whole book, the author had me asking myself, 'What would I do? How would I react? Could I survive being teleported 60 years into the past?"
It's actually fun...and a little bit scary...to sit and think about that while reading a story like this one.

The Mine asks some big questions. Joel lands in a time heading for war. His struggles with the decisions he has to make is heartbreaking to watch.

You WILL cry while reading this book. A few times. So have tissues close.
And the end is a thing of absolute magic. I LOVED it.

I truly wish that one of the 'big name' publishers had picked up The Mine. This book needs much more publicity and exposure than it's getting.
So I'll do my part to get the word out to as many people as I can, starting here.

PLEASE read The Mine. It's amazing and wonderful and fun and touching.
And after you read it, you'll feel really good about supporting an indie author. :)

I'd like to say a HUGE thank you to John A. Heldt for providing a copy of The Mine for me to review.
This is a book that will stay with me for a long, long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mine.

06/07/2012
14.0% "Life keeps interrupting, but so far this is a neat read!"
06/09/2012
65.0% "Must see where this is going. It's so not what I expected!"
06/12/2012
79.0% "Something I didn't expect--Tears. :("