Lloyd's Reviews > Iron Man: Extremis

M_50x66
May 31, 12

bookshelves: 2000s, comic-book-graphic-novel, warren-ellis
Read from May 30 to 31, 2012

Despite being a comic book geek for over twenty years now, I've never really gotten into any Iron Man book or read the character with and consistency at all. I think I picked the right book to start with.

It's been called a brilliant re-imagining of the Iron Man character and is penned by one of my absolute favorite writers, Warren Ellis.

Basically, a dose of a more technologically enhanced version of the Super Soldier serum (you know, the stuff that made Steve Rogers into Captain America) has been administered to a domestic terrorist. He's now crazy powerful and bent on taking down the government, killing and destroying anyone or anything in his path. Tony Stark, a.k.a. Iron Man is having a few health issues as we start the tale and is struggling to get out of the arms race, but still must come forth to challenge the crazed villain dosed with the serum called Extremis.

Warren Ellis delivers a taut story, as is often the case. So many elements come into play as were reading this one. Brilliant sci-fi, fringe science, strong characters, masterful pace... all come together to form an Iron Man plot that I can't ever imagine being eclipsed.

The artwork by Adi Granov was brilliant. Never before had I seen anything like it. There was one sequence when Mallen (the Extremis infused villain) goes into an F.B.I. headquarters and utterly decimates it. He breathes fire. Normally, this wouldn't be very shocking... Maybe something we'd find run-of-the-mill when reading the ol' funny books. I make a point of this to say that Granov's art made it utterly shocking and terrifying... and this is just one example of his masterful work here.

I'd really recommend this one to anyone. Anyone who's ever wondered what superhero comics are all about, anyone well-read in or coming new into the work of Warren Ellis, anyone who wants to see what has to be one of the best Iron Man stories ever done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Man.