David Teachout's Reviews > The Pilgrim's Progress

May 30, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: kindle
Read from May 30 to October 18, 2012

I have heard of this book since the days in which I was a fundamentalist, though at the time didn't read it because of a number of reasons. I'm glad I finally have, as it is quite enlightening as to the more disturbing aspects of fundamentalist christianity. There is nothing good or worthwhile here, nothing that is anything other than shaming to be human and the morality of "christian" is at best suspect and at worst detestable (from any point of view other than an authoritarian one), but this is exactly what one is to find when a consistent usage of fundamentalist doctrine is applied. That the author liberally selects from texts to support without context his views is simply par for the course. That the arguments presented are horribly innacurate and gross caricatures of real world thinkers is expected. I can only be grateful that it is a minority that actually follows such fully, for in living like the author declares holy it would indeed be a terrible world in which to live.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilgrim's Progress.