David Teachout's Reviews > The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century

The World Is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman

Oct 28, 12

Read from May 30 to October 28, 2012

Yes, I finally got around to reading this fully despite it being out and about for several years. Rather glad I waited as up till the last couple years I would have been far too narrowly partisan to have appreciated the points being made. What's involved here for Friedman is, from his point of view, an objective understanding of the capitalist economic system, the social potential it creates for change and what people and governments should do to encourage and yet also curb its excesses. Friedman is unabashedly a capitalist, an advocate for free trade and open economic borders but he also recognizes the need for governments to do their job in providing incentives for companies to help their workers, provide re-training for those who have found their jobs outsourced and also make sure there are adequate safety nets for those who find themselves on the outskirts of technological progress or capitalist over-reach, i.e. greed. Ending on a note for people to adapt and learn that the world will pass us by if we don't wake up and take notice, Friedman is fully critical of the United States's penchant for ignoring a problem till it becomes a disaster and urges real reform and an acknowledgment that change is going to happen and jobs are going to shift however much politicians say otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World Is Flat.

10/14/2012 page 200
32.0% ""You know the 'IT revolution' that the business press has been touting for the last twenty years? Sorry, but that was inky the prologue.""