David Teachout's Reviews > The Third Side: Why We Fight and How We Can Stop

The Third Side by William Ury

Jan 22, 13

Read from May 30, 2012 to January 22, 2013

If you really want to understand how to address conflict this is an excellent start and one that has broad implications for everything from personal relationships to international relations. The entire focus is on what Ury calls the "third side," essentially the social context in which every conflict arises and embodied in those who often have no direct link to the difficulty in question but can provide services to mitigate the problem. These "third-siders" can fill the roles of everything from healers to arbiters depending on the needs of the situation and the type of conflict in question. What is most honest here is Ury's declaration that a world without conflict is not what is being sought after, as conflict is an integral part of our progress as human beings, rather that conflict be reduced from escalating to outright violence and destruction, that we learn to harness the power of the third-side in such a way as to bridge the gaps between adversaries and resolve differences without bloodshed. We have made great progress as a species already, there is hope we can continue to do more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Third Side.

01/16/2013 page 80
01/21/2013 page 140
51.0% ""...dialogues aim not to convert others or to reach agreement on the issues, but rather to promote mutual understanding and build relationships that can prevent escalation into violence.""