Erik Simon's Reviews > The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin

The Man Without a Face by Masha Gessen

May 30, 12

The guy is such a grade A ass hole that you almost have to admire him. I am riveted by Putin, largely because I'm riveted by Russia, and one could make the case that he is the most powerful man in the world (as well as the richest). The only problem with the book is that Putin is, and has been, so secretive about everything that much of this book is conjecture. That said, nobody knows him better than Gessen, so her conjecture is as reliable as perhaps anything we're going to know for a hundred years. Three more quick hits:

1. I've no doubt he's staged a few bombings that he made look like terrorist bombings in order to justify attacking Chechnya. Whenever a bomb goes off in Russia, I'm convinced Putin planted it.

2. I shouldn't be, but I'm disturbingly impressed by the KGB technique of spreading poison on a light bulb in someone's hotel room so that that person dies in an almost untraceable fashion.

3. If you run afoul of this cat, be afwaid, be vewy vewy afwaid.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Without a Face.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ciotta Hey Erik, I love your comments. You make a lot of valuable points, such as Putin is to be admired. I attack the subject of Putin of my novel entitled "I, Putin," in which I show a very unique view of him. You may find it interesting. Best wishes, Jennifer Ciotta