Emily's Reviews > Grasping at Eternity

Grasping at Eternity by Karen Amanda Hooper

Jun 01, 12

Read from May 30 to June 01, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Right from the beginning I was pulled into the action of this story and I didn’t want to be let go any time soon. This is really the story of Maryah dealing with the loss of the immediate family she’s always known, and discovering a whole new one.

Maryah is depressed after losing all of her immediate family in a horrific attack. She goes to stay with her godmother where she meets, among others, Nathan. Nathan is her soulmate and they’re both part of an eternal family of reincarnated souls -- a kindrily (such a cool word) -- who remember all of their past lives and they all have supernatural abilities. Maryah doesn’t remember any of this because she chose to erase all of her memories after her last death, but no one knows why.

What was really refreshing about this book is the way it could have fallen into the trap of so many cliche plot that populate the YA and paranormal genres, but it neatly steers away from them. For example, when Maryah finally meets her soul mate they don’t exactly get off to a great start. When he puts her life in danger, she doesn’t swoon and forgive him right away because he’s hot.

The biggest gripe I had with this novel was in the romance department. When Maryah starts classes at her new high school, she immediately catches the eye of the resident rock-star Bad Boy. Instead of making an enemy of his beautiful girlfriend while they both fight for his attentions, she makes friends with them both. Yes! my skeptical heart cheered, Another cliched trope subverted! So I was rather disappointed when this turned into a kind of love quadrangle.

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of YA paranormal. Karen Amanda Hooper creates a fascinating world filled with a host of interesting characters. This is, at it’s heart, a refreshing story about family and how those relationships affect us in this life and all the past ones.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grasping at Eternity.