Jen's Reviews > The Night Circus

Sep 25, 12

bookshelves: audio, fantasy_and_magic
Read from May 30 to September 22, 2012

Meh.

Underwhelming is about all I can say - though I did like one character, it wasn't really enough to lift this to a higher rating.

I felt like I've seen the magic before (movies The Prestige or The Illusionist)and read the love story already (Romeo & Julietteish). The random jumps through time didn't seem to matter to the story much, and I didn't feel any of the chemistry between the (presumed) doomed lovers.

And FWIW, having Jim Dale read it didn't make it any better. I finished listening to it strictly to hear his voice, but I was dang glad when it ended so I could start something else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

05/30/2012 page 71
18.0% "I'm kind of bored, honestly, but so many people love it..." 3 comments
06/05/2012 page 129
33.0% "The author certainly has a vivid imagination - I just wish it didn't fall so flat in her writing. If I'm not done with the book by it's due date, I might just give up."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Trying again, with Jim Dale narrating. Hopefully this makes it more alive for me.

Sara Oh no!!! I want everyone to love this book!!!

Rebecca It was not as amazing as described. I just finished reading half of it over again, and I enjoyed reading better than listening to it. Allegorical? I'm not sure I get it. I am not sure why the time shifted either, it didn't enhance the story for me. I loved the descriptions, and it was the first fantasy I have read in a while. I would read other books by this author, she is quite talented.