Lantz Kehlmier's Reviews > Big Nate: In a Class by Himself

Big Nate by Lincoln Peirce

U 50x66
May 30, 2012

liked it

Big Nate: In a Class by Himself by Lincoln Peirce was originally a comic strip that was turned into a children’s book. It is about a sixth grader that always seems to find himself getting into trouble. The book starts out with Nate having to take a Social studies test and is dreading that if he doesn’t do well on this test that he might have to attend summer school. He then receives a fortune cookie at lunch that his buddy gave him and indicates that “You will surpass all others” and his confidence went up, but with this fortune cookie also came multiple detention slips, making it a very long day for Nate.

After reading this book I was very satisfied and thought it was a cute book, especially for younger children. I can remember when I was little reading the comic strip Big Nate and how much I enjoyed that. In a way, it displayed the struggles and issues a sixth grader might face and gives it a comic twist. The character reminds me a lot of myself when I was that age and made the story a little more intriguing by being able to relate to it in some way. I was also reminded immediately of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. While I have not read the book, I did see the movie and there are similarities between Nate and the mischief he encounters and some of the plot elements of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Kudos to Peirce for a light-hearted children’s book that made me laugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Nate.