Sarah's Reviews > The Midnight Zoo

The Midnight Zoo by Sonya Hartnett

F 50x66
May 30, 12

Read in May, 2012

Immediately after reading the text(an hour ago)I felt that the story didn't go anywhere. I had heard so many good things about the book, how beautiful it is. I felt and still feel dissapointed. I can see how it is well written, however I felt totally detached from the story. I do not think the text is engaging, there are less then a handful of times in which I actually read something that grabbed my attention.

My opinion over the last hour has only changed slightly, having given it further thought I can see some positive aspects to the text. I suppose I find interesting the way in which the story depicts a particular time in history through the flashbacks and descriptions of a young boy and talking animals. There is too a focus on freedom and hope which I usually would enjoy, however as I said didn't engage with in this text. I also find interesting the role reversal of animals and humans, the animals are depicted as having human characteristics and the boys compare themselves with animals at the beginning of the text.

Just thought I'd add that I'm usually a fan of open endings which you can interpret for yourself. In this case it just further added to the fact that the story didn't really go anywhere.

The story somewhat reminded me of The life of Pi, which I would strongly recommend reading. I found the use of animals in that text more engaging and meaningful then the use in this book.

If you are interested in reading a non-conventional text based on world war 2, I would strongly recommend reading Art Spiegelman's Maus. This is a life writing piece told from an interesting perspective in an interesting format.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnight Zoo.