Sam at A Journey Through Pages's Reviews > The Chaos

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: horror, dystopia
Read from May 30 to June 02, 2012

Review from A Journey Through Pages

The Chaos returns with Jem's son, Adam, who as we discovered at the end of the last book can see the numbers as well. This time around, however, the stakes are much, much higher. When flooding causes Adam and Nan to move back to London all Adam can see anywhere is the numbers 01012027, and they are all violent deaths, so he knows there is something off. But when you have an ability no one would believe, how do you try and help save them all? And the ultimate question is whether or not one can change the numbers.

On top of Adam we have the character of Sarah who has had the same nightmare over and over again starring Adam of that New Years Day. Both of them know something is going to happen and want to change it.

Of course, who is going to listen to two troubled kids in a futuristic London where people are ID chipped? That feeling of helplessness and trying despite all of it is a major theme of this book, taking what happens in Numbers to the extreme.

What's also really interesting is how there seems to be the beginning of a dystopic government and I like seeing that. Usually with dystopic elements we just see them when they're already fleshed out and in place, so seeing a setting where there are only a few elements but you can tell they are heading that way is super interesting.

Once again Ward has written truly unique and interesting characters. With so many paranormal books having characters who are white, middle class, and have no problems with life other than vampires, werewolves or something to that extent, it is really nice to see that "hey, other people can have issues too". It also gives a lot more layers to the writing.

The Numbers is just a taste of everything at stake in The Chaos. There are similar themes of troubled kids and how no one listens to them, and how everyone is ready to jump at terrorism. There is an added theme in this book of a government turning Big Brother on us. I recommend this to people who love thriller books and want to read some unique characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chaos.

05/31/2012 page 93