Melinda McGuire's Reviews > A Virtuous Woman

A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons

5422095
May 30, 12

** spoiler alert ** SPOILERS included - sorry. I can't seem to talk about the novel without including details from the plot.
I read Ellen Foster first. I thought it was well-written, and I *almost* always enjoy Southern authors.
So, off I went to find A Virtuous Woman.
A few things:
1) Ruby fits Proverbs 31's description of a virtuous woman AFTER she marries Jack. I loved this connection.
2) I appreciate the "realness", the "grittiness" of these characters and their circumstances.
3) I am happy to see a novel (or novella) in the Southern Gothic style.

If you want a sweet romance that ends on a happy note - THIS IS NOT the book for you.

These characters are fleshed out and flawed, but they love each other. They share a life together. And, when Ruby dies, she does all that she can to ensure Jack is taken care of for as long as possible. His love for her threatens to send him into a downward spiral he cannot recover from, but then, he is saved by a gift.

I enjoy the style of writing in this book. I enjoyed the change in the points of view. I enjoyed the characters and their development. I also enjoy the dialogue, the setting, the sensory details.

Again, it is a gritty, earthy story that is about two people who love each other and share a life together. I would NOT classify it as romance. I would classify it as a southern gothic story.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Virtuous Woman.