Carolyn's Reviews > BoneMan's Daughters

BoneMan's Daughters by Ted Dekker

May 31, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from May 30 to 31, 2012

I had downloaded the audio version of "Boneman's Daughters" from my library long ago, and relegated it to the category of "to be read (someday)." I was scrolling through my iPod looking for a quick and exciting read, so I settled on this book.

The first chapter threw me off a bit. It had been a long time since I read the description of the book, and all I remembered was that it was about a serial killer. I had completely forgotten that Ryan (the main character) was in the Navy, so it took me a little while to settle into the military setting. There were a few minutes of listening where I thought I had somehow gotten the wrong audiobook.

Once I acclimated to what was going on, however, the story really picked up and quickly became quite interesting. Naval intelligence offcier barely escapes with his life and sanity intact after being abducted by an Iraqi insurgent with a particularly cruel kind of revenge on his mind. Ryan basically makes it home just in time to find his worst fears being realized--his daughter has been taken captive by a brutal serial killer, and the clock is ticking. But, after being out of her life for so long, will Ryan be able to make any difference? The plot is tense and Dekker is constantly raising the stakes for the main characters. He changes viewpoints, only to switch again just when the reader is begging for more information. His style definitely keeps you reading.

On a side note, I didn't find out until after the fact that this book is shelved by many as a work of "Christian fiction." Which is probably a good thing, because I doubt I would have read it if that was how I came upon it. I wouldn't consider the book to be overwrought with religious themes. The Biblical references are there, but I suppose it's how you look at it--I was reading this book as a suspense novel and simply took the allusions as literary references rather than as the author driving home a moral message. If you wanted to read it for a religious interpretation, you could certainly do that, but there are also much less violent and creepy books that you could get that from!

If your idea of a good summer read is a fast-paced suspense novel that will give you the willies at times, take this one to the beach with you. It will not disappoint.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read BoneMan's Daughters.