Jane's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Jun 03, 12

Read from May 30 to June 03, 2012

This is a great personal story of a woman's hike from the Mojave desert through Oregon along the Pacific Crest Trail. Having hiked on trails and cross country close to the Pacific Crest Trail--in Lassen Volcanic Park, I know the beauty of this part of the country, how wild and impressive the mountains and the views can be. I've met a mountain lion and been charged by coyotes while alone in Lassen, so I connected to the wildness she experienced along the way, but I've never hiked so far alone (eight miles was my longest hike, and the cabin at Juniper Lake was always there to go home to at the end of the hike). Her determination to hike solo from southern California to northern Oregon was impressive. Her naivete about what the hike would mean and her lack of preparation was also impressive (Is she kidding?) I thought more than once. The story of her mother's illness and death, her descent into self-destructive habits, and her divorce from a husband she loved was beautifully told. I believed Strayed's voice, her acknowledgement of her flaws, her longing to be independent and her need to be connected as well. Really glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.