Bethann's Reviews > Mockingbird

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

F 50x66
May 30, 12

Mockingbird by Katherine Erkstine is an excellent children’s novel. It is extremely well written and it is obvious that the author has some background knowledge about Aspergers. From the very opening chapter to the last paragraph of the book, I found myself constantly wanting to read more as the characters continued to develop page by page.
By placing focus not on the main character (who is a child with Asperger Syndrome), but instead on the world through the eyes of that character, Erkstine finally gives us a window into the everyday life of any person living with this syndrome. The vocabulary is great for children, often challenging them but not so much so that they become frustrated. In fact, the main character of Erkstine’s book is fascinated by the dictionary, so many times new words have definitions already provided, a great learning tool for young readers.
Overall, I’d have to say Erkstine has created a unforgettable novel. It really touches the reader emotionally as well as helps them become aware of the challenges faced by people living with handicaps such as Asperger’s. I would most definitely recommend this book for middle school classrooms, both as a learning tool as well as a casual read.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingbird.