Jessica's Reviews > A Northern Light

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Jun 06, 12

Read from May 30 to June 06, 2012

I didn't actually read this book in print, I listened to it on my Audible account. I really loved the main character, Mattie, and her love for written words. Set in the early 1900's, she is living at home with several siblings trying to finish her schooling and hoping to go on to college while fulfilling the duties as substitute mother, cook, maid, and farm hand to her family since her mother's death. Added to her troubles are her brother's disappearance after a fight with her never-happy father, a romantic relationship that tears at her when what she wants now conflicts with what she wants for her future, and trying to find the always elusive extra bit of money just to make ends meet.

This story reminded me a lot of Fair and Tender Ladies, which I also enjoyedd. I am not sure I would have liked this story as well if I had read it; the narrator did a really great job in the recording of the audio book. I found this author has several other books and I look forward to getting to read, or listen to, them!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Northern Light.