Bridget's Reviews > Borderlands

Jul 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read in July, 2012

This is a new series to me, I heard about it from a co-worker. It takes place in Ireland, in an area where the Republic of Ireland is on one side, and Northern Ireland on the other. The main character, Benedict Devlin, is a police inspector in the Republic, who is working on solving the murder of a young girl in the area known as the Borderlands, literally one side of the street being in a different country.

Devlin is quite an interesting character, in and of himself. He is married with two young children, and is far from perfect. His personal flaws make him more realistic than many characters in other series. In this book, the more he becomes involved in the murder investigation, the more complicated things become, turning out to be related to another murder, as well as the long-ago disappearance of a woman who - as it turns out - had an affair with Devlin's boss. The story ends up having IRA involvement, even though it takes place in contemporary Ireland, where The Troubles are no longer the everyday violent activities that they once were.

I liked this book. It's definitely something I had to be in the mood to read, since it is in no way a sugar-coated story, and the characters are not always likable. But that was part of what also made it readable. I will definitely read the next one of this series, as I am curious to see if Benedict Devlin's life, both personal and professional, becomes any more complicated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Borderlands.