Jennifer Lane's Reviews > Easy

Easy by Tammara Webber

Dec 18, 12

bookshelves: new-adult, recommended-by-goodreads-friend, wounded-hero, romantic-suspense
Read from December 01 to 18, 2012

Easily a Five Star Read!

I’m loving this New Adult genre. College was one of the best times of my life and I enjoy reliving the experience through books like Easy.

Jacqueline is a college sophomore whose caddish boyfriend Kennedy recently dumped her. Mourning the end of their relationship, Jacqueline leaves a fraternity party early only to be assaulted by her ex’s frat brother Buck. Luckily, cutie boy Lucas rescues her and beats the snot out of the guy.

Lucas is tall, dark, and handsome with strong muscles and beautiful tattoos. He sits in the back of Jacqueline’s Econ class sketching in his notebook instead of paying attention. He’s a barista at Starbucks who owns a cat named Francis. And he’s a campus parking officer who helps the police teach a self-defense class. Yes, he has many talents.

When Jacqueline’s friend Erin suggests that she turn to Lucas as the perfect rebound, Jacqueline definitely considers “Operation Bad Boy Phase”. But Lucas seems to have secrets that make connecting difficult. Then there’s her Econ tutor Landon who is flirty and fun, combined with creepy Buck threatening to rape her when he gets the chance.

There’s wonderful world building of a college campus. Jacqueline has a sweet and funny guy who sits next to her in class, saying things like “I’ll take Hot Tutors for $200, Alex” when Jacqueline gets distracted in class. She blushes when she takes Lucas to her dorm room the first time:

I shook my head over the charming portrayal of a penis someone had doodled onto the whiteboard Erin and I used for notes to each other. Coed dorms were less mature than depicted on college websites. Sometimes it was like living with a bunch of twelve year olds.

I love Jacqueline’s best friend Erin. She always has Jacqueline’s back:

Erin: Do you still have your coffee cup?
Me: Yes?
Erin: Take the sleeve off
Me: OMG
Erin: His phone number?
Me: How did you know???
Erin: I’m Erin. I know all. ;-)
Erin: Actually, I just wondered why he wrote on your cup if he was going to make your drink.

Erin’s eagerness at the self-defense class is hilarious:

”So when do we get to the junk-kicking?” Erin asked.
Don shook his head and sighed. “I swear, there’s one in every class.”

When Lucas kisses her for the first time, I have to laugh at Jacqueline’s reaction:

If someone had asked, How does this compare to kissing Kennedy? I would have answered, “Who?”

I think the messages of this novel are empowering to women. Instead of being victims, many of these female characters learn to be survivors:

I gave myself credit for becoming a survivor. I had survived Kennedy’s decision to end our relationship. I had survived what Buck tried to do to me. Twice. And I would survive if Lucas wouldn’t – or couldn’t – trust me with his personal demons.

YEAH! And those personal demons are heartbreaking. Just what I like—a hero who’s emotionally wounded.

Nothing about the characters’ development or their relationships is easy, but this story is so easily likable. (Okay, sorry, enough with the easy references). I highly recommend this novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Easy.

12/02/2012
15.0% "Two male characters with an L name. One and the same?" 4 comments
12/03/2012
40.0% "Parking enforcement officer? *snorts* How many jobs does Lucas have?
I'm so glad J told Erin."
12/03/2012
50.0% "He has a cat? Named Francis? Love."
12/03/2012
50.0% "Damn it I had to go to work today when I'd much rather read this book!" 1 comment
99.0% "Bawled. Laughed. One of my favorites!" 2 comments

Mitsy You are reading it! :) Good! :)

Zoe and the Edge this is a great book! =) I lurrrve Lucas!

Sara Amazing book! I hope you like it as much as I did!

Jennifer Lane It's good so far! I don't want to make my expectations way too high though.

Novels On The Run Jennifer I finished this yesterday and LOVED IT!!! Lucas is beautiful:D mich

Jennifer Lane Thanks, Michelle! I often like the books you enjoy too.

Zoe and the Edge GREAT review! So glad you loved it!

Jennifer Lane Many thanks, Zoe! I finally had time to sit down and write a review of this amazing book.

message 10: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani Agreed... on all points. :D

Jennifer Lane Must go and read your review, Dani!

message 12: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani LOL... I couldn't figure out what I wanted to say about this book, so I never did actually review it. You did an excellent job of summarizing what I couldn't put into words :)

Jennifer Lane Read Zoe's review--she did a better job than I did! http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Mitsy Great review! Love how you focused on the positive. :)

Annette Dellosa Love love love!!! :)

message 16: by Zoe and the Edge (last edited Dec 18, 2012 11:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe and the Edge Jennifer wrote: "Read Zoe's review--she did a better job than I did! http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

Aww...you're so sweet Jennifer! *blushes

Karla Excellent review Jennifer!

Jennifer Lane Thank you, Annette! I enjoyed your review as well.

Jennifer Lane Mitsy, there was a lot of positive to focus on, especially in terms of my feelings for the story.

Annette Dellosa You're welcome, Jennifer! And thanks too ;)

Jennifer Lane Thank you Karla!

Novels On The Run YAY!!! I have another couple of reads to tell you about shortly. You may or may not know about them. I am sooooo loving Contemporary at the moment.

We sooo agreed on everything the same in our reviews. I am interviewing Tammara shortly. I am quite excited. I really think Lucas is real...lol!!! He felt very real. Oh the tatts and the lip ring.....his personality... * swoon* I want me a back story of when Lucas was a bit of a lad, a bit of a bad boy.

Have you read Slammed and Point of Retreat ? I can't remember if you had. Colleen Hoover. Those books just blew my snot right off my face. :D:D

Mich

Jennifer Lane Michelle, Slammed is definitely on my radar! I have it on my Nook...just haven't gotten to it yet.

Awesome that you get to interview Tammara! Maybe she'll let you kiss Lucas.

Annette Dellosa Oh Jennifer. You better read Slammed already. You're missing a lot. lol

Jennifer Lane Yes, ma'am! But first I'm reading Poughkeepsie and I'm loving it so far.

Novels On The Run Novels On The Run wrote: "YAY!!! I have another couple of reads to tell you about shortly. You may or may not know about them. I am sooooo loving Contemporary at the moment.

We sooo agreed on everything the same in our re..."

Jennifer...don't make me think of kissing Lucas...I can't handle that much excitement in one morning.....sooo beautiful that boy.

I am 50% done with Hopeless by Colleen Hoover....OMG.....I just don't have words to not spoil . Colleen has brought her Contemporary A Game to this book. I am feeling rather scared for Sky and Holder...EEEeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee..but soooo wonderful and...........EEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEeeeeee!!

Mich

Jennifer Lane I love your reaction to that book!!! Is Hopeless part of the Slammed series, or a stand-alone?

Smoochy smoochy Lucas!

Novels On The Run Stand Alone......man, I LOVE CONTEMPORARY!!! Hopeless is very intriguing, it has me currently with a brain of theories. I think I am on to it...but I may not be. Colleen makes us work to work it out. I may be very surprised by the time I get to the end. $3.99 on Amazon, I would secure it before the price might hike up. I think from reading almost all her books, as only 50% through Hopeless, that she is the female Nicholas Sparks...Oh YEAH I went there!!

xx
Mich

Novels On The Run p.s. If you think kissing Lucas would be EEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee ...well, not kissing Holder is even more EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....oh TRUST ME!!

Mich

Jennifer Lane PS Michelle I read all 3 Colleen Hoover books and LOVED them!!! Holder is such a doll.

Jennifer Lane I just won a signed copy of Easy from The Romance Cover!

*clicks heels*

message 32: by Smash (new) - added it

Smash Erin was a HOOT! I can't believe I didn't mention her in my review. She definitely brought smiles and GIRL POWER to the pages.

Such a powerful book, and it was written in a positive way!

Jennifer Lane Well, there was a lot to talk about in the review! I wouldn't mind having Erin as a friend, that's for sure.