Melly's Reviews > Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: arcs-and-galleys, 2012-releases, contemporary, makes-my-heart-swell, tears, young-adult
Read from June 13 to 15, 2012

I was completely wowed by Pushing the Limits. This book is far more thought provoking and heart wrenching than I expected.

Echo’s world came crashing down during her sophomore year in high school. She’s now a senior and nowhere near the same girl she used to be. It’s strange how one day can change the rest of your life. Noah is definitely a ladies’ man. He escapes reality in any way he can, which pretty much comes in two forms, girls and drugs. He tries so hard to bury the hurt inside him.

Despite the fact that these two can’t stand each other, they are pushed together whether they like it or not. They challenge each other and force the other to think about things in a different way. Slowly they begin to realize just how much they need and care for one another.

Echo and Noah are complete opposites, yet they fit perfectly together. They both believe themselves to be broken beyond repair and not worth the effort to even try and fix. While Noah has a perfect memory of everything that went wrong in his life, Echo has no memory whatsoever and no one wants to tell her the truth. Together they decide to solve the mysteries and get their lives back.

This book will probably rip your heart out, but it’s a great story and it needs to be read. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about.
“The worst type of crying wasn’t the kind everyone could see—the wailing on the street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived.”
See what I mean? Get your tissue ready, guys, because you’re going to need it.

Not all of it is sad though. Trust me there are plenty of laughs and swoony moments too. My heart nearly melted from the sweet things Noah would say, and do, for Echo. I loved it. And now I’m listening to Free by Zac Brown Band and I’m smiling.

Oh! And how excited am I for Beth’s story in Dare You To?! The excerpt at the end has me wanting to read it right now. Ahh! Can’t wait.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.

50.0% "Awwwww *tear*"
78.0% "My heart...oh, my heart. *sniffle*"
86.0% "I'm totally crying now."